Korean Startup CIRCULUS has created a social family robot called piBo. There has been a large increase in depression with those that live alone and the elderly. More and more people are getting animals to deal with their loneliness. However, pets can be expensive and difficult to take care of. A personal robot can bring all the benefits of a pet without the high cost and maintenance. piBo can be a companion you can share your life with.
Personal intelligent robot biBo can not only converse with you but also:
- It can tell you what the weather will be like that day as well as give suggests on what to take and wear.
- Send alert reminders for house chores like cooking, cleaning, and appointments.
- Play your favorite music or recommend the latest hits.
- Can program it to learn new skills.
- Recieve and read out texts.
- You can control piBo from outside your home using your smartphone.
- See your home through the eyes of piBo using your smartphone.
- It can record a day in piBo’s perspective as well as summarize the day for dinner conversations.
Social Isolation Solutions
Social Isolation and loneliness is a big issue in Korea. There is nothing worse than being alone. It is important to be mentally and emotionally engaged. The emotional support piBo can provide is well worth the price. For the elderly, piBo can be used to remind them to take their pills, track their health, and answer direct calls from their loved ones. If something was to go wrong, piBo will have a recording from its perspective to give doctors a better understanding of what the symptoms were leading up to the incident.
Overall having a social intelligent robot can be very therapeutic. It fights depression and helps get people back into their healthy state. Robots like piBo cannot fully replace humans, however, they can assist 24 hours a day.